Sunday, February 20, 2005

A Very Long Run!

Oh, Bloggers! Where else, but here, could I leave for all to know, what a Chickybabe puts herself through on the road to Canberra!

Out at 6:30 a.m. (unheard of for me!), rain & mist above the ranges & below in the valleys.....d'lovely! I was carrying 2 raisin loaf sandwiches with Nutella spread, jelly beans, sports drink in one container & 2 de-fizzed cans of "Red Eye" in the other..."Red Eye" this week 'cos it had more caffeine than any of the others! So if I strayed off & got lost somewhere amongst the daisies & cows, I'd survive the day & even the night outdoors!

I missed some of the 1km paint marks I'd put on the road down Macquarie Pass & just went on & on ...jog 1km/walk 1minute; now that I'm home & have taken a look at the piece of paper where I've jotted down how far each mark is, I find that instead of doing 20-21km out & the same back, I'd gone 23 out & the same back...total 46km. That was OK; I was feeling great at halfway & most of the way back, enjoying the rain & the occasional burst of sunshine, until with 15km to go, from running in soaking shorts for so long, what did I feel? Chafing on both inner thighs! I can't tell you how terrible the pain became! Tried walking & it was sheer agony; so I just ran with no walk breaks & eventually, know what? I could feel nothing! No pain at all!

It gets worse though & don't read on unless you have a strong stomach! About 10km to go, looked down & both inner thighs covered in blood & running down to the knees....that's the first & I hope the last time I'll ever feel chafing like it ..trying to wipe the blood away lest I be seen by people in passing cars! Thank God, they're aren't many where I run!

And it still got worse!
After I got home & in the shower!....& that's when I started to cry....big sook! Truly, the burning pain was dreadful; inner thighs look & feel as if they've been cut with a razor blade! ...though I suppose if it hadn't been raining all the time, it may not have happened. I hope the pain goes away soon; right now I can barely walk or sit down for the burning pain....I've truly never felt anything like it.


Total for this week = 84km (Today's run took me 6 & half hours.. down the Pass & all the way back up in the rain & pain!)

Chickybabe is now going to lie down again & probably cry some more.. I'm so sore!

11 comments:

  1. Ouch!

    I hope your recvery is swift and relatively pain free. That just sounds horrible.

    On the bright side: 46K? Wow. You are continuing to put in the huge ones. Very, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Chickybabe! Talk about Wonder Woman! You are so amazing LL. I think you are a legend - that's it a 'Coolrunning Living Legend".
    If you can get hold of some Am.O.Lin Baby cream it will work wonders for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky legs you might have to try some gel or vaso on the legs before a long run next time. Hope you recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your good wishes for my return to health!
    The aftermath was that I got a terrible attack of shivering; suppose from so many hours in pelting rain; so on with the electric blanket, into bed & Mr LL (God bless him!) brought me in a bowl of hot soup; then at 6:30 there he was again with a piece of re-heated shepherd's pie!

    I had used Body Glide before leaving & even took some with me but the rain washed everything away; I have put some 'Bepanthen' antiseptic cream on, but it was agony just trying to spread the stuff; has given some relief though; can't let any clothing even near the area...it stretches from front to backside! I'll be walking around like one of those bow-legged cowboys from a John Wayne movie!
    Now going to lie on the sofa and watch Melvyn Bragg's series on the English language & then "Foyle's War" which I enjoy very much.

    Thanks you, you good kind bloggers &...Good night...from your Chickybabe Blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh I feel the pain.

    I too suffered badly on one run in the rain and I still have the scar to prove it! Like you it was so much easier to finish the run than walk or heaven forbid - DNF.
    Unfortunately it seems to be a regular occurrence since that bad episode so bodyglide has become my best friend.
    There is no quick fix for that pain on the first day. But like a burn, the stinging pain will go away within 24hrs. Make sure it dries out - sunshine is great - and it should heal quite rapidly.

    oh.. and protein protein protein. Repairs the skin and muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chickbabe, you just continue to amaze me. You are such a strong woman - can't wait to meet you in Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky Legs, as Eddie said you are truly a Cool Running Living Legend! You never cease to amaze me with your feats. 46km over the terrain that Plu has described to me is just awesome. Rest up and let those inner thighs heal properly as we want you in Canberra in one piece. I also love the thought of you walking around like John Wayne. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done LL, I was going to suggest that you find some 'Bepanthen', but you are already using, from expereince this nappy rash wonder cream is great. Well done on the kms, maybe a nice massage or an easy swim would be wonders today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're smiling today, Pepster, 'cos Chickybabe ain't!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better to have got lost somewhere amongst the daisies and cows! Isn't it great to take a packed lunch on a run - I so look forward to it!

    CB, passing motorists may have thought you were the result of a MBA. By the way, that John Wayne pose will be perfect for the 1400 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Owwwwww !!! That sounds just awful...minor chafing is bad enough (am discovering bodyglide!)

    Hope you're feeling stacks better now though!

    46km? you'll be running across entire continents soon enough!

    ReplyDelete