Monday, August 15, 2005

City-to-Surf, 2005



I had the most wonderfully enjoyable run of all my 17 C2S! Not faster than last year; in fact, 1 or 2 minutes slower, but I can't remember feeling this particular run so comfortable; can't remember enjoying every hill; can't remember running so fast down the hills!.. ...so fast, I even terrified myself by my own speed! Can't remember loving every step of the way; can't remember a C2S where I didn't struggle..... ... but this was it! Put simply - I loved every minute of this year's City-to-Surf!

Amongst all of the Crs I met up with later at the Striders tent, (thanks to all for your welcome), it was Action who said something that I thought about on the trip back to Mittagong (& unless he reads blogs!!), he never will know the impact his words had. I'd kept saying to others, in answer to questions of, "How did you go?" "Oh, I'd hoped to go under 100 minutes, but not sure of the time adjustment for the first 2 starts"... always answering in terms of my time; explaining 1 or 2 minutes one way or the other; & I gave the same reply to Action, who ignored these responses about my time & kept asking, "But did you enjoy the run? Did you really enjoy yourself?"

"Yes! I said truthfully at last. "I loved every single minute of it!

"Well then," Action replied, "time is irrelevant!"

And it was only then that I realized what was really important about this run in particular & just how struggle free & free-spirited I'd felt during every one of those 14kms! Indeed, it was a very happy day for me!

Results in tomorrow's SMH & will know my correct time then & it's important.......just a little, but eventually I'll most likely forget it, whereas the euphoria of this City-to-Surf will be with me for the rest of my life!

Edit 21/8/05 - 70 & over Age Category Results - 3rd Place!!



11 comments:

  1. that's exactly how i felt LL although i was lucky enough to improve on my best (training proved the obvious difference to me)...it's fantastic to actually be able to enjoy soemthing that's hard...

    i'm pretty sure i spied you from a distance post-race (with "LL" on the back of your cap), sorry i didn't get to meet you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickybabe, it is so great to hear you really enjoyed your run. After the disappointments of Canberra and Gold Coast, the fact that you are still out there doing your best is simply inspirational. Look forward to catching up with you for the Sydney Running Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. That's what it's all about - and that's why i love this race above all others so much.

    Glad you enjoyed yourself chicky (I loved my race too). Sorry I didn't get to catch up with you at this race after all our other social outings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LL, I felt exactly the same way yesterday during my first C2S. What an incredible event to be a part of and to fly up and down the hills was fabulous !! It's wonderful to have those runs which remind you of the joys of runnings. J

    ReplyDelete
  5. LL - I'm so glad for you. You really deserve a happy run after the trials of the last few races.
    I so wish I could have been there, but I was waving virtual pom poms at you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely to see you again yesterday and your post is absolutely right. It doesn't really matter about the time it's the taking part! I found it tough yesterday but your post has put things right in perspective. Thanks LL and I'll be on cheersquad duties on the 11th so I'll see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Chickybabe (and thanks for the cuddle)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good C2S - sounds like it was a lot of fun! (next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to meet you (very briefly) afterwards LL! Well done on your run, and enjoying it! That's the sort of philosophy I'm trying with my running this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great report LL. I was with the cheersquad when you ran by, and gosh, you looked so good!

    Thanks for reminding us all what is important - I think sometimes we forget just how lucky we all are :-)

    See you again in a few weeks for another enjoyable morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to hear you enjoyed yourself so much, LL. Must have been lovely after some of your other recent runs.

    Chilliman and I were thinking of you as we were running through fierce winds in the Dandenongs on Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete