Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Intervals/Pace Session


At Chev. track 11:00 a.m.; already very hot; forecast 27 degrees top, but I think it reached higher than that; terribly humid on the wet oval after recent heavy rains. I should start earlier, but can't get myself out of bed!

The session was about pacing each lap according to set times. Right, Ewen??

This was the program -


20 minutes warm-up....
10 minutes stretching, walking around etc. (did this 30mins. as directed!)

Set 1 ..3x445m (lane 7), given times for each lap, with 2:30 intervals - 10 minutes rest.

Set 2... the same again.

20 minutes cool-down.

and this is what actually happened......

Set 1. Lap times were to be........ 2:40; 2:35; 2:30.
My times were ..........................2:45.0; 2:13.0; 2:25.1

Set 2. Lap times were to be.........2:25; 2:20; 2:15.
My times were...........................2:25.8; 2:13.0; 2:14.5.

I did 15 minutes cool down + 5 minutes in the shade leaning against a tree & looking into space!

TO SUM UP: Very hot & humid conditions! The running itself wasn't difficult, but trying to get 'Pace' correct is another thing! I can see by the lap times that I react by thinking, "I'd better go fast otherwise I won't get to the finish in the set time!" In other words, starting out too fast on some of the laps. Oh well, I'll see what my Report Card says later tonight.

A very challenging session - running at a given pace is not easy to do!! Downloaded all data to the Polar software & it, at least, looks really, really impressive!!!

...and here is the long-awaited Report Card :- (Never thought I'd be told I was way too fast!! Won't be long now till CB runs out of sight!)


Report Card

Preparation: 9/10 - you probably should have started earlier as it was a hot day.
Motivation: 10/10 - obviously very motivated to do a hard track session on such a day.
Execution: 7/10 - didn't achieve the suggested pacing - way too fast in some reps.
Performance: 8.5/10 - a good interval session if erratic.
Neatness: 10/10 - full marks for using discretion to cut warm-down on such a hot day.

w

2 comments:

  1. Leaning against trees and staring into space is definitely my strong suit LL - so if you need any tips...

    I'm sure your report card will be a cracker.

    And drink lots of water - it's (*%&^% hot out there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 7/10 for Execution!! A bit harsh I think.

    ReplyDelete