Sunday, December 11, 2005

Long Run


24 km this morning on what I still call a very hilly course, though it's in perspective now after 6ft track, which brought out the worst & best in that order : giving in, throwing up & then keeping on going up!

A very pleasant start at 8:00a.m. : mist first, then cloud cover, some sun & a cool breeze out & back. I took the 2 litre Camelbak (very comfortable) to get used to using it again for "Beyond the Black Stump - a bloody good bush run" on New Year's Day. Since I drank all but a couple of mouthfuls, I'll need to refill and/or carry extra on the day; also used 1 gel.

I fast walked up most of the hills & took a 1 minute walk break after each km mark (excuse if I need one: it's only 2 weeks since 6ft track & still a bit tired in the legs!); this meant 'time on feet' was a solid 3 hours 35 minutes!

A little more than the usual tired at the end!

6 comments:

  1. What will report card say about that walking? Good long run. Wish I could do one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't Camelbaks great - sounds like you had a great morning LL - good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 8am and still a mist. Must've been beautiful out there!

    What sort of Cambelbak do you use? I'm thinking of getting one and want to do some serious research first by consulting the experts, ie fellow CRs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tess, I have the Camelbak "Lobo", 2 litres. You can get 3 litres & more, but it's a matter of how much weight do you want to have to carry when you're running! For me, 2 litres is heavy enough! I based my choice on that more than any other factor.

    At the same time, depending on distance, I would need to have somewhere to refill or top up if going longer than around 25km especially in hot weather. Yesterday, for example, I used most of the 2 litres over 24km on a fairly mild day. To date, where I run I'm able to refil or top up if necessary at 2 taps along the way; so for myself, I wouldn't want to carry any more weight on my back; if needs be, I'd carry a hand-held bottle as well, preferably one I could dispose of early in the run.

    I find the Camelbak Lobo sits very comfortably, making sure all the straps are adjusted so that there is balance & no movement; with 2 good sized pouches (key ring attached), space for gels & a million other things!

    To sum up : for my needs the Camelbak Lobo is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear the long run went well Chickybabe. Only 3 weeks to go until Beyond the Black Stump.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the advice on the Camelbak LL. I like the 'very comfortable' bit. But best of all there are those little pouches for all the other stuff.

    Maybe Santa will bring me one :-)

    ReplyDelete