Tuesday, January 03, 2006

"Fat Ass - Beyond the Black Stump"



I copied this, my short account of "The Fat Ass" run 2/1/2006, from the main message board on the same topic :

From Horrie:
quote:
"This is one tough woman! "

From me:

....and this is one tough course!!

Just back from Sydney where I stayed for an extra recovery night.

I thought the 6ft track was hard going but this was more rugged & less runnable. Where did all those rocks come from? I've never ever experienced anything like it before & I don't think I'll be doing it again in a hurry (well, I couldn't do it in a "hurry" anyhow!)

Surprisingly, I have no stiffness or soreness after going "Beyond the Black Stump", whereas I could barely walk for 2 days after 6 foot track -TSV. If nothing else, these sorts of runs toughen you up not just physically, but mentally & emotionally as well. On this one I didn't sit down & cry (not even once - the rocks would have been unbearably uncomfortable!) & I was in full control of my gastrointestinal system (i.e.I didn't throw up)! We stopped at the Marina, after the ferry crossing, where Belinda ordered scones & jam & Horrie & I 2 slices of banana bread which we ate as we slowly hauled ourselves up the hill to rejoin the bush track littered with huge boulders to climb down & then back up again on our way to & from 'The Castle'.

As Horrie said we lost quite a bit of time getting ourselves thoroughly lost several times, but still that's what bush trails are for - to confuse! As Confucius would say : "He who gets lost, will not necessarily stay lost!"

The scenery looking down into Berowra Waters was glorious & that I stayed on my feet (they were my feet, I think!) for more than 7 hours to see it all, was due to the assistance of my two helpers, Belinda & Horrie who would have finished the course several hours earlier (nearly typed 'days earlier' there!). Thank you both for picking me up at Bronte & bringing me back. A special thank you to Kevin Tiller who waited all day to make sure that the 3 of us finally & safely finished....Kevin, you are a wonder & a "national treasure" for your camaraderie & vigilance & supplying us all with bottled water, ice, Coke, Gatoraid & snakes - the chewable variety!!

And that's another run, that Chickybabe never imagined doing, ticked off the list!

10 comments:

  1. Luckylegs, I feared for you when I saw the temps rise during the week and was glad to see the date change(and weather) for your run. Again awesome, inspiring stuff from yourself. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible. You are simply amazing LL !

    Well done on a great run. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed what is, by all accounts, one very tough run! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome effort LL!!! Most people will never achieve what you have done...what a buzz! What is next for the unstoppable Luckylegs??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another amazing effort LL, you never cease to inspire! Hope you recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another one for the memory banks huh? Well done LL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great run yesterday Chickybabe. That was certainly a tougher slog than 6 Foot. Glad that you pulled up well. Now you can start the buildup to Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chickybabe the Magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luckylegs, you really are starting to make the rest of us look soft!

    Congrats on a great run.

    So, what you are going to get up to next? The mind boggles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, we are soft Tesso. We need to challenge ourselves more. How could there be a tougher run than the 6ft track?!

    Wobbly, I think this is one for the memory blanks.

    Well done CB! Back to serious training next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much to all of the above who dropped by to comment! I hope to go through all the blogs during the next few days.

    ReplyDelete