Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Long Run With a Wombat!

I don't think I'll ever see this 'wombat' on the road again! He would do well to steer clear of me in future!

And so it was that I did this morning's long run with Ewen who was coming through from spending a weekend on the coast. I had 30km to run and the poor darling thing was in agony trying to keep at my slow, slow pace! We did 31 km & took 4.5 hours to complete it!!! I enjoyed it immensely though!

A 7:30 a.m. start & we followed the fire trail I've been exploring lately to where it meets Tourist Road, well below Macquarie Pass. A super track, with lots of shade, a cool breeze blowing today, some steep & long inclines, which we walked, & a few rocky sections (also walked) but neither of us tripped or fell over or got lost! One other stop to refill water bottles at 'Doug's place', but no sign of Turbo, the dog. We started a stampede of a herd of cattle who were dead-set on coming along with us....on the other side of the fence!

It's quite normal for me to be out for anything up to 7 hours on a long run, but I fear some of the younger generation, of wombats in particular, are simply not up to this at all! I think he will be very pleased to run quickly on his next long run & finish the distance in half the time!

Nevertheless, I greatly appreciated having his company & commend him for his bravery in the face of such extreme hardship!

6 comments:

  1. Good for you LL. I am guessing it would have been pretty warm up your way today too? A great run to have completed on your road to Canberra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice run LL - sounds delightful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done to Wombat and to yourself LL. I am sure he benefited from the 4.5hrs on his feet. And you would have benefited from the company.

    Great long run and another one for the Canberra Bank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was nice of Ewen to join you for a run Chickybabe. I'm sure he enjoyed his time with you. As for running at your pace, he had good experience from the time he spent 10 hours with you on your epic journey of the 6 Foot Track. The training looks to be going very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A photo of forerunner man's journey.

    You're right clairie - I only have to survive another 2 hours or so at 6ft!

    CB, that was a beautiful run but oh so tough for a poor wombat who's used to a faster slow pace. 8:20 per km is not easy!. I think my sore heels and feet were caused by those extra strides.

    It was silly male pride that kept me running with you at the end when the ditch by the side of the road looked so comfortable. You left me floundering with that sprint down the last hill!

    Thanks again for the run and putting up with my conversation which was mainly 'how far to go?' on the return journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done both of you on such an incredible run.

    ReplyDelete