Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Long Run

Not so long in distance, but mighty tough & long in time! 3hours 54 minutes to cover only 28kms. Oh dear! At this rate I'll never run out of sight... day or night!

A cup of coffee & left 8:30 a.m. : very cool, overcast morning; nice breeze. After 8km of dirt road, continued along last Sunday's fire trail for 6km that very much reminded me of 6ft Track - TSV !! Same terrain as the better parts of it... like Fitzroy Falls Marathon course, part of the same ranges, so similar rough, rocky track. Forgot to carry a gel or anything to eat & needed it; had plenty of water & tap for refill. Beautiful bushy location, running through silence. Phoned 'im what's 'ome to see if I had mobile coverage - I do! Remembered as usual to have I.D disk tied to shoe laces; wore new, but getting dirty, trail runners...boy, are they worth the money!!

Slowed down to walking through the rocky parts - a fall out there would mean big, big trouble! Remember to take bandage - could be handy, especially if I ever again feel as worn out as I did this morning, I could use it to hang myself & end the torture! The return 9km was like that : jog some, walk some; nothing left in legs, nothing in the tank. I know I kept saying to myself : "You're going to feel like this & worse in Canberra 50km, so get used to it & keep going!" Almost 4 hours to do just 28 kms! And I needed something for energy!

This will be a good place to train for 6 Foot Track - TSV, 2006(!), but Ewen agrees it's too rugged an area for long Sunday runs : involves too much walking, so I have to find something flattish where I can run without stopping for hills, rocks, etc...Can't think of anywhere, but I'll drive around & see what I can find.

...and now, it's "good night" from me, fellow Bloggers! Nearly forgot...a kangaroo hopped across the track!

9 comments:

  1. Well I hope you can find a much flatter course than that, Chickybabe.

    Cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL - it sounds like you did this run under extremeley tough conditions. That doesn't mean you won't run out of sight in better ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now what have I said to you before about the need to consume food????

    Remember the creamy rice. Next time I don't want to hear about you heading out for 3 hours + with nothing but coffee in your belly and nothing to sustain you along the way apart from water.

    Naughty.

    wt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! that sounded like a tough one. I dont know how you do it without food. I literally can't go 15k without my body starting to each itself for sustenance. Good luck on finding a nicer/flater place it will do wonders for your Canberra campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 hours LL!!! That is one third of a 12 hour :-)

    Great run over a tough course by the sounds of it - god I love that kind of thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you chalking up time on feet Chickybabe. Remember, we will finish the Canberra 50km no matter how long it takes. You have my guarantee on that. Hope you recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look on the bright side, not having any carbs out there will help your body adapt to running without them and force it to tap into your own stored supplies. Not that you have much of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it was the terrain that was slowing you down LL. I was walking on a rocky trail yesterday and thinking that it would be tough to run on as I'd be worrying about tripping up all the time.

    I hope you can find something a little easier for your long runs though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't listen to 2p CB! You're a very fast 1500m runner who sometimes forgets to stop until the 50 kilometre mark.

    ReplyDelete