Saturday, April 15, 2006

A Time & Place to Reflect...





Today is Good Friday & a week since leaving for Canberra...hard to believe that & also almost a week since the "run of my life"....the run I had when I'm no longer running!

I haven't run since last Sunday & not in any hurry to put the trainers back on again; not until after Easter at the earliest.

Still awash with thoughts & emotions about the day & I want to put some here as a way of letting them out! Not for responses really, just to let them go on out into space (or wherever thoughts go!) & leave only memories of the day with me:

- For months.. Ewen, sending weekly programs & commenting on each one.....what a friend I've been blessed with; and after the 50km, checking several hours later that I was alive (if not well!)...bringing something to eat & company for the evening...talking about starting up a new program in 3 weeks' time..

- Horrie's selflessness in giving up his own first Canberra 50km to run with me for nearly twice the time it might have taken him on his own.....will always love & owe him for that...so very different having someone to run with, not wondering am I on the right part of the cycle track where it's easy enough to take a wrong turn, until the relief of seeing a volunteer or an aid station ahead; not being completely alone with no other runners in sight...back or front!...

- The cheer squad & other Cool Runners giving much needed encouragement along the way & staying out there until I finished, forming a "guard of honour"! I don't know of anywhere else I would find such unbelievably supportive friends; they leave me completely humbled, & thankful that I've been fortunate enough to have them come into my life....late & all though it is!

EASTER SATURDAY...
- the 50km was the perfect run; only one other time have I been truly able to say that; twice in a lifetime of running is more than a lot of runners are fortunate enough to experience; not one part of this run would I have wished to be any other way; I really did feel strong, relaxed & in control; some fatigue in the lower back & hip area towards the end (as did Horrie), but otherwise I was calm & felt strong; confident that I would achieve my goal & that my dream would be fulfilled....& it was! In fact it was more than just fulfilled; it flowed over with an Australian Record & a PB of 23 minutes.

There now: therapy session over, the thoughts are 'out'; but that's all looking back & now it's time to let them go, tuck the memories away, recall them whenever I want to think of a perfect run on a perfect Canberra day; an incentive to start again - taking 3 new pairs of Asics (the 2110, DS Trainers & Magic Racers ..for the track!) out of their boxes & arranging them on the top shelf of runners & start to plan for goals for the remainder of the year....that's what Easter is about...new life & so it will be for Chickybabe!

And nowit's Easter Sunday!

12 comments:

  1. It certainly was the perfect run Chickybabe. You never missed a beat from the beginning to the end. Considering we were out there for 6 and a half hours, that was pretty amazing. You were totally in the zone and were soooo strong. Bask in the glory as it is richly deserved.

    As for you saying that I gave up my own run, you couldn't be further from the truth. I told you in those dark days after the debacle of last year, that I would make sure you stayed on the correct path to ensure you got that record that was rightfully yours. I was so glad that you were able to get back out there a year later and set the RECORD straight this year. It was a bold plan and a bold statement but one that I hoped would happen for a year and the fact that it did and it went so perfectly to plan.

    So to cut to the chase, running with you was my run so I didn't give up a thing. In fact I gained so much more from sharing such a sensational day with you. A day that dreams are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL, what a great post, now you have me thinking about lots of things .... good things :-)

    And what a lovely response from Horrie. Gee, how special is he. You are one very lucky Chickybabe to have a guy like that looking after you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post LL. Congrats again on a great day. Enjoy your rest and reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big smile and much admiration from me!That is so sensational, bask in the contentment you must feel,because thats is what your achievement deserves.

    Respect,
    R2B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Luckylegs ... I've only known you as that when reading my brother (Ewen's) posts. Had no idea about the 3 score etc ... taking some time over Easter 9,000 mile away from home to catch up on Ewen's blogs and clicked through to read your amazing account of the Canberra marathon. Congratulations! It's nice to see Ewen's face outside the family dynamic.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lucky Legs, what a beautiful post. I love your writing as much as your running. Must be the school teacher in you lurking there just below the surface. Thanks so much also for the lovely things you have written in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly what Easter is about LL... thanks for the reminder! I can not wait to read about your blitzing the track!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful post, you're such an inspirational lady! Even Jackie Fairweather (a Commonwealth medalist) and others were talking about you and your run! Great to know someone famous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Therapy sessions are good CB.

    Before you know it you'll be lacing up the Magic Racers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great post LL...and i can't belive you took the time to comment on my blog...it was an absolute honour to be able to support you & Horrie in your fantastic record breaking run...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many have already said it too, but a very 'cool' post LL, obviously the teacher comes out every time you start typing, a pleasure to read!

    Thanks heaps for your comments on my blog, I do hope in the future I have the honour of meeting you. Last w/e in Cbr wasn't to be.... :-(


    Kindest regards

    Stu

    ReplyDelete