Sunday, September 24, 2006

Day 1 - Running Against the Wind


Program : Run for 80 to 105 minutes an average of 75 to 85% of MHR.

By far, the worst experience with gale force wind that I've ever experienced & never wish to encounter again. As a tail wind on the way out - on Range Road - it wasn't too bad, but after 45 minutes I'd had enough & decided to turn back and that was when I was hit with the fiercest winds I've ever been out in. Running impossible, walking...more like a drunken stagger; several times I was almost blown over; terrified of the fallen trees & branches, I was actually saying out loud : "God, don't let me be killed; don't let anything fall on me"...it might be the first time I've ever prayed to survive when out on a run! I really thought I'd never safely make the distance back to the car.

About 1-2km from where I'd parked the car, I could see the sky filled with thick smoke, so I started praying again : "Dear God, don't let the car be on fire!" The nearer I was to the car, the thicker the smoke became...but it wasn't there that the fire was...thank you God! About 300m down the hill, but on the same side, the grass alongside the road had caught fire & had spread to the wooden fencing surrounding a paddock. I could see parked cars ahead with lights on & immediately thought there was no way through. I couldn't get away quickly enough & drove slowly through ... To my complete surprise as I came out of the smoke, there were about 6 cars pulled up, not caught there, but just stopped to watch the fire! I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, why anyone would want to get so close to fire simply to look at it!

No damage at home; a few potted plants tipped over and no power for the rest of the day; came back on about 6:00p.m. Never again will I venture far from home on such a day...lesson learned! In fact, I shouldn't have been out in that weather at all.

RESULTS FROM MOTION BASED:
Run Time = 1:44
Moving Time = 1:38 (6mins. trying to shelter from the gale!)
Distance = 11.7km (!!)
Moving Speed= 7.1 avg. 12.3 max.
Avg HR 74% of Max.
Temperature = 31.9 avg.; 34C high

Wind = N 44.6 avg.; N 51.8 Max. whatever that means...all I know about winds is that I could barely stay on my feet today & I was really terrified!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW LL you DO lead an exciting life - my little jaunt up the mountains on Sunday pales in light of your day.

    Glad you got back in one piece ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been having some crazy weather down there the last few days, sounds like it would have been a horrible run. Glad you got back safe though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're still alive CB. A run to remember, but don't do it again! At least it was too windy for the magpies to swoop ;)

    ReplyDelete