Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Day 3 - An Easy Day.



I know it's impossible to work out what this photo is about!

When I took the 2 dogs for their walk in the paddocks behind Renwick soccer field (all this eventually to be for housing), I noticed that the new mother cows had separated themselves from the main herd & had set up their own nursery here for their newly born calves. They are the few tiny, barely visible, black specks three-quarters of the way back!

I didn't go closer for fear of disturbing them, but I watched fascinated as the new mothers nuzzled their babies, watched over them, lay down to sleep with them, fed them & moved them across the paddock teaching them how to graze. For me, there was something very heart-warming - & almost brought a tear -to witness the nurturing & love these new mums gave their little calves.

But....... on to today's training : Program : 40 minutes at a "comfortble" pace.

Renwick soccer field for stretches & a few strides.

Started there on Bong Bong Road, left into Old South Road & kept going for 20 minutes, turn around & back to the start. Details from Motion Based are:

Time = 40 minutes.

Distance = 5.75km

Avg HR = 83%

Avg. Pace = 7:00; Max. = 6:39; Best = 5:33

Stretches in the soccer field.

I felt I should have been faster as I put a little more effort into the 40 minutes than usual. I don't think I'm ready to run out of sight yet! We'll see what Ewen thinks!

5 comments:

  1. Gee, we city folk miss out on so much.

    You mention Bong Bong Rd. It brings back memories of Bong Bong races. I went there back in the early to mid 80s and lots of people were in fancy dress. I went as the queen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor babies, please tell me this is dairy country not meat eating territory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting LLs. It is great that you took the time to actually notice what the mother cows were doing. Most of us wouldn't have been so observant, obsessed as we are generally in our own little worlds. Then again, I think it is runners - who are usually in tune with nature - who will notice these kind of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous LL. Can always rely on you to bring me back to life and treasure the important things.

    I read your post but for the life of me as I am typing this I can't remember what running you did - I can only remember the few specks in the distance and my own imaginary image of the mother cows herding their calves.....aaahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always lovely to see nature at it's best. Hope to see you on the bridge this weekend.

    ReplyDelete