Sunday, January 06, 2008

Long Runs Getting Longer.....



As of today, the "long run" each Sunday will be gradually getting longer & longer!


Program: 18 -20km AHR 114 (77%).


I used Range Road for the first time in a long while because I felt I needed to do some running on a sealed road, on which Canberra Marathon will be run....all being well!


No breakfast as usual, just a mug of coffee. I had 2 taps for drinking water - out & back, took a gel at half way with water & drank 500ml of Poweraid at the finish.


Accompanied both ways by hordes of flies, I'm sure the hills are getting steeper every time I run this course, so it was a dismally slow 10km back up Macquarie Pass (Tourist Road). 10km out was OK, but I didn't give much attention to heart rate today (i.e. getting it up to 114). It was sufficient, I felt, to just complete the course without too much stress, sweat & strain! It was hot at 25 degrees, very humid & no shade.


10km out in 1 hour 22 minutes. AHR 105. MHR 118.
5k laps : 41:02; 40:56


10km back in 1 hour 32 minutes (!!). AHR 108. MHR 122.
5k laps : 46:50; 45:15

Total Distance = 20km (AHR 107) in 2 hours 54 minutes...how slow is that, but it was the best I could manage until I get used to hills again as the Sunday runs get longer.
Thanks, Ewen, for reminding me to soak my aching legs in cold water!
Weekly Total = 56.5km




5 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the long runs LL. It's a shame we have to train in the worst part of the year to run in Canberra in the best part of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love the feeling of dunking your legs in cold water after a long run. We use a garbage bin with water and ice. Beki thinks its the original water torture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A garbage bin! Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year LL. Your marathon training is going really well - 20km already - you'll be running the Ultra at this rate!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phone Jim just before you finish and get him to fill the trough with plenty of iced water :)

    ReplyDelete