Friday, September 12, 2008

Chev Track.....disaster!





....I always enjoy my track sessions, in fact it's just about my favourite training day. So what went so terribly wrong today?


I had 12 laps (about 5km) to run at heart rate of 85%, gradually raising heart rate during the first 2 laps, after a 2km warm-up, some drills & strides. Time each 2 laps.


Warm-up fine - except for an attack from a magpie - drills, strides, short break for a drink......all good, out onto the track & off!


After 6 laps I couldn't take another step, so I sat in the middle of the track & cried - out loud - with frustration & disappointment that I could run no further. This has never happened before, why now? Time to take up synchronised knitting? I cried & worried all the way back to the car & then sent Ewen a text message telling of my plight & looking for explanation & consolation!


I wonder if stress can sometimes have a negative effect on running performance? We've had a week or so with some stress due to a neighbour reluctant to co-operate in repairing a common dividing fence. I'm finding that the older I become, the more these sorts of things impact on well-being than they did when younger & took things less to heart & more in our 'stride'.


Anyhow the miserble results were 2km warm-up + 3km on track = 5km

Time on track 20 minutes. AHR =76%; MHR = 82%.
Each 2 laps = 5:16; 5:16; 5:44.

3 comments:

  1. If you are feeling miserble you certainly could knit. Why knot? "Recent studies show" that knitting keeps the brain active, not unlike sudoku and crosswords. "Active doing what?" I hear you ask. "Going around in circles" is my reply. Just like track sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, LL!

    I got an email yesterday from my 65yo brother-in-law who's just taking up running again after a 45 year lay-off. He said "Do you ever have days when you wonder why you're running?", and I just laughed out loud. We could tell him a story or two about that, couldn't we :-)

    Tomorrow's another day, and you're certain to enjoy at least parts of it! :-)

    Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should know by now you'll never receive consolation from me. I can't figure out how to spell that word in sms.

    ReplyDelete