Monday, March 16, 2009

The Longest Run.......

Yesterday, Sunday, I ran my longest run in training for the Canberra Marathon.

Program : 32km

Since I took a rest day on Saturday & didn't do the 3km as per program, I decided to tack it on to the Sunday run, which according to my deliberate miscalculations made 36km! My plan was jog/walk : 5/1 which I did from start to finish. I ran 3 x 12km loops out & back to where I'd parked the car & carried 4 gels & 1 large bottle of water in a carrier around my waist.

All went well for 30km & then I just died a little more with each step for the last 6km, with the last kilometre barely a shuffle/walk uphill to the car....not a pretty sight, but at least the next long run of 30-34km in 2 weeks' time might seem a little more familiar!

I feel recovered today, except for a little stiffness in the quads & wanting to lie in bed this morning for longer than usual!

Distance = 36km
Time on feet = 5 hours+

3 comments:

  1. Ah those long runs! The first part is so enjoyable.

    The real test is how well you pull up in the day or so after the run and my guess is that, after all the work you have done, you will do rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great run LL. Looking good for Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the SMH article LL. You celebrity you !

    ReplyDelete