Monday, May 18, 2009

SMH Half Marathon

I had a fantastic day! Arrived Sydney Saturday afternoon and stayed overnight at the City Park Regis, just across the road from the start...very handy and comfortable.

Sunday morning, after a short warm-up in Hyde Park with Ewen, we made our way to the start and as it turned out, just 26 seconds from the timing mat, so we were pretty close to the start line. From there, much to my surprise, I immediately was able to find a rhythm of running with short, quick strides and made up my mind I'd hold it till the end...no matter what!

I felt great and enjoyed every part of the run and, though it sounds crazy, I didn't even notice the Argyle Cut hill which I can recall having to walk parts of in previous years, and Hunter Street didn't bother me even on the second time around! For the first time in any run, I carried coke and sipped on it as I ran instead of Gatorade. I stopped once for water.


In short....I had the best run in a while, taking 7 minutes off last year's time & 2 minutes faster than 2008 Gold Coast Half. I'm still stunned, and very pleased, today!!

Since starting my thoughts about yesterday's run, I've read on Cool Running so many complaints about overcrowding, missing Gus, soupy Gatorade, walkers, slow runners, couldn't get near the start line, having to stop, et cetera...et cetera...et cetera!! Well, call me a nut case, but some of these were the very things that "made my day"!

Being used to running alone & lonely at the back of every race, I was tickled pink to have so many others around me for the entire run; I couldn't help but have a big smile on my face every time I dodged in and out of other runners to get ahead...and I did. I hardly ever get that chance, but I had it yesterday! I even laughed with delight to see such a huge crowd at the Hickson Road drink station so that I didn't even think of stopping there but just kept on running instead of waiting! I carried my own gels and coke to sip on the course instead of depending on the aid stations to have something left when I knew as an "old slowie" that there were over 8,000 runners participating. I had the best fun ever and, in spite of seeing a huge, ugly blood blister on my big toe afterwards, I still managed to get the "icing on the cake" by a 7 minute faster time than in any of 2008 half marathons, including the Gold Coast.

But now......I must mention the huge lift the Cheer Squad gave me each time I passed them. What an unselfish group they are to stand there for hours just to cheer others on their way! I have a special "Thank You" for Cool Runner "sfGnome" who returned to the Domain after his run, waited for me to come by & then ran the last kilometre with me, helping me to finish in....

2:26:09 Gun Time
2:25:45 Net Time

Finally : To have run 7 minutes faster than last year, I must have the best of all coaches!






9 comments:

  1. congrats on a great run! those stories are why we keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were goof! Very goof! You were showing those youngsters how to race fast - and smiling all the way. How do you to that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a pleasure to cheer people on. I always enjoy my day in the cheer squad and it was lovely to see you running so strongly. Congratulations to you and the coach.

    TA (sfGnome's lucky wife)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow LL what an awesome run. Congratulations - that is certainly one for the book! I hope you have some photos of all that smiling. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its all about you! Nothing to do with that goof coach. Great run LL. Only saw you once about to go down hunter on your 2nd lap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge congrats Norma!!!! You looked fantastic out there so I'm not surprised you felt the same way. Loved the skirt ... not just faster than many of those youngies, but more fashionable too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff LL,

    nice when it all comes together in a race. The smiling seemed to help as with the coke,. I heard Hal Higdon used to drink unfizzed coke at his water stations on his marathon races.

    Yes, Ewen is good and your're not bad yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done indeed LL that is a wonderful result and a very handy time too!

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations LL. I'm thrilled for you, especially after all the encouragement you have given me. Nobody is more deserving of such a great performance.

    ReplyDelete