Wednesday, September 02, 2009


Beautiful day here! I love Spring; more blossoms out every day.

Today's 10km Run.

I decided to go to Chev track & run the 10km on grass, barefoot. Lovely! Running well & feeling great until I saw in the distance the entire student body & staff heading down in my direction, but to one of the upper fields I thought for sure. Not so! Down they kept on coming in their hundreds, right to the oval on which is My track! What on earth??!!

I was running so well & smoothly - at least I thought so - bare feet; but instead of walking off the track, I decided to finish the lap and I would then have finished 7km. And they all waited and watched! The finish was right in front of where they sat &, blow me down, as I stopped running, they all stood, clapped & cheered! Where was the hole I wanted to crawl into?

The teacher in charge of athletics told me they had to use the track to finish the relays which they didn't have time for on Saturday & apologised for asking me to move to one of the soccer fields to finish. See, they know it's all mine! But I forgave her when she told me she'd watched my last lap & complimented me on my "lovely" running form (whatever that is!). And then the inevitable question : do you mind if I ask how old you are? What sort of running events do you do? Why didn't the ground open up and swallow me before I could answer?

Anyhow, I waved to all the kiddies & walked off the track as fast as I could & finished the last 3km on a nearby soccer field. What a day!

10km
Time 1:05:43
Avg. pace 6:32; Best 5:03.
AHR 125 (79%); MHR 145 (92%).
Splits 8:07; 7:07: 6:52; 6:23; 6:15; 6:07; 6:07; 6:11; 6:05; 6:09.

My aim had been to warm up for the first couple of kilometres and then stay below 6:30 pace for the rest of the 10km.. ...as practice for Blackmores Half Marathon pace. So a good day after all!







4 comments:

  1. You certainly shouldn't feel like wanting the ground to open up & swallow you LL - you should be incredibly proud of who you are & what you do. I'm actually really pleased that the kids had the chance to watch you so that they are inspired as much as we are :-)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet next time, they bring their books to get your autograph, and their cameras to get a photo with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your own cheer squad!

    Great time for 10k on grass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strike! If I could do what you can do, I'd be yelling it from the roof tops! There's a reason that all those kids were impressed (and I wonder how many will take up running now or in the future because of the seed you sowed today?).

    ReplyDelete