Sunday, January 10, 2010

Another Marathon....I Don't Think So!


I started out at 6:15am today thinking I'd avoid the heat, but I don't think it cooled down overnight at all. Minutes after starting, the sun came bursting through and it just got hotter and hotter as the long run progressed.

At least it progressed, but I became slower and slower as the heat increased. Anyhow, I finished what I set out to do but not at the pace on my program i.e. 6:57 to 7:06. Only 2 kilometres were near that: one at 7:03 and the other at 7:11 min/km.

I ran 3 x 8km loop starting at the school in Radio Road so that I could stop for drinks, the loo etc. each time I returned!

24km
Time 3 hours exactly!
AHR 72%; MHR 88%.
Avg. Pace 7:37; Best 5:24.


I console myself by looking at last Sunday's run which should have been 20km but I couldn't get past 17k because of a late start in the heat. I thought that getting up at 5:30am I was assured of a brialliant long run in record time! No such thing! Just thinking of trying the marathon distance again gives me the horrors!

Today 24km.

Yes, Ewen, I had a nana nap; in fact, a grand-nana nap, sighing and bemoaning my lack of a faster pace and in obvious distress for the entire afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. LL, please don't beat yourself up about yesterday's run. It was hot yesterday; even at 6am. I know, I was on the bike at that time.

    And I think nana nap's are a crucial part on any athlete's recovery program. Well, that's what I told myself when I had a lie down yesterday! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get to our (LL's & my) age Jen_runs, nana naps are a running sine qua non.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this heat keeps up you might have to make it a 4am start next time. Or better still, go out for your run as soon as the late night movie finishes ;)

    ReplyDelete