Monday, January 18, 2010

SMC 10km ...PB!

On Sunday I did the SMC 10km race at Smithfield and I ran a PB! My previous 10km times there were 68 minutes in October & 63:20 in November. I ran the half marathon in December.

With the assistance of my trusty TomTom, I left Mittagong on Sunday around 5:45am and at Rosford Reserve in plenty of time for a 2km warm-up and a few light drills & strides.

The race began at 7:30am

My time : 62:46 (unofficial) official times not available for a few days.
AHR 137 (87%) MHR 156 (98%)
5km splits: 31:49; 30:30
Avg pace 6:15;
I'd set the Garmin pace at 6:19min/km

I ran hard from the start and so hard down the grassy slope at the finish that I went head over turkey and landed on one knee and my top lip just metres before the finish! I don't think anyone could have got back up on their feet any faster than I did & then over the timing mat! However, those who did witness it came to my assistance including a man from the St. John's Ambulance! No damage, except for feeling pretty stupid!

One extremely nice male runner took me to where I could sit down and, seeing that I'd drawn a blank for the lucky draw, after my unlucky fall, gave me his ticket which had a red dot on it, meaning you present it at the canteen for a surprise gift and that's how I came away with a bottle of Linderman's Merlot!

So, I'd have to say that in spite of the tumble I had a very good day : A PB and a lucky draw prize!

Now for today, Monday: Cross Training : Hills


At Iron Mines Oval I did 10 minutes warm-up followed by a hard 20 x 20 seconds up a steep grassy slope, slow jog down between each.

I'd worn a track by the 20th!





5 comments:

  1. 62:46! I've told you how boringly good you are, but this is getting ridiculous ;)

    The Merlot would be perfect for celebrating your success and deadening the pain of your AOT episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Norma. Sensational run. A bit cooler weather and you will break 60. I might see you next month as I may do the 25k race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - you are amazing - you just keep getting faster. Turning 80 has given you wings! You even managed a negative split. Congratulations and enjoy that well-deserved red wine. Do hope you don't have any post tumble bruises!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. LL you are extraordinary! I hope I'm setting PBs at 50, never mind 80!

    Imagine how much faster you will go without the AOT episode ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just fantastic. And a really well executed race with a negative split. Well done.

    ReplyDelete