Sunday, January 09, 2011

A Last Attempt.....OR



This week I'll make what is very likely my last attempt to restart my 3-day running program.  If my knee misbehaves again I'm calling it quits.  The reason for this is pretty obvious, to me anyhow : it's almost too late to be ready/trained for any decent attempt at any of the races I would have liked to take part in this year....certainly in the first half anyhow.....and motivation is steadily going downhill.  It's been so long since September last year!

So, come Wednesday, I'll head off for Chev track in Bowral and do the first of three workouts for the week.  If my times for the 400m repeats are slower than they should be, I won't mind, but if my knee forces me to abandon the session or is painful afterwards....THAT'S IT!

I'll continue daily walking and pool running for fitness but with no intention of competing in  events I'd hoped to do before this disaster struck!

I hope I have a 'run' of luck!

10 comments:

  1. My fingers (and everything else) are crossed that it goes well. If not, don't give up - there are plenty of events throughout the year to target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norma, please don't limit yourself by some artificial time scale. This year, next year? So what? Just get better as slowly as you need and then build your base again. Your flowers will go nuts if you spend all your time messing about with them! :-) :-)

    p.s. Ewen's even plaited his beard so that the hairs are crossed too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Ewen, TA&Gnome, but I'm very 'down' at the moment and nothing seems to have a bright side. Quite difficult at my age to find motivation I once had for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, no, I have everything crossed too Norma. I do hope that jolly knee behaves itself. Don't forget you are Lucky Legs and as the others said it doesn't matter if it's this half of the year or six months or twelve months down the track. Just take it slowly and you will be back. Please don't give up - we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strewth, you're so sweet, thank you!

    The encouragement from the above posts brings tears to these old eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Norma. If you can bear a bit of a weep, have a listen to this. I'm sure you know of Herbie Handcock - one of the great jazz bassists. Well, this is his reworking of a beautiful song. Turn the music up, close your eyes (really, close your eyes) and just sink into the song. It's our present to you...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6kW3SoxGH0&NR=1

    If that doesn't come out as a link then cut and paste the whole address into your browser's address bar with no spaces anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you lots of luck on Wednesday! What about if it doesn't go well.. changing your goals.. run as soon as the pain is gone, but maybe take on pacing others to their PRs (which I find to be a complete blast when I do it - surprises me how much fun) or come up with different types of goals? Just a thought - I was out for a long time with an injury so thinking of other ideas to keep you interested if you wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dubs, thank you! Thank God, things went well yesterday for my track session, so I'm hopeful I'm on the comeback trail. Will remember your suggestions if ever I have to take time off again...hopefully never!

    ReplyDelete