Sunday, February 20, 2011

An Ugly Long Run...Very ugly in fact!

The only good thing about this morning's long run is that I like the look of 18km rather than a big fat zero!  I had a terrible run!

Set of at 7:50am but right from the start I didn't have what it takes to run well.  I ran 9km out on Old South Road, a fairly hilly road, turned and jogged/walked 9km back.  Thirst was my greatest enemy; I looked everywhere for a tap but none to be seen even though I walked onto a couple of properties hoping to find a tap or even beg at the front door for a glass of water!

Apart from thirst, I was so tired and empty of all energy all over, not just in the legs, the only thing that kept me going slower and slower was the thought of getting back to the school from where I'd started, finding a tap and sinking to the ground....which I did!

I can't account for such terrible inertia in my entire body; at home I showered and collapsed onto the bed where I remained asleep for the next four hours!  This does not bode well for being fit to run a half marathon at the beginning of April.  I am very disappointed and fear ever again feeling as I did today...totally exhausted!

  Here's what I was supposed to do:

Program:

18km @ 7:30 min/km

Here's what I did:

9km on Old South Road (fairly hilly)
Time = 1 hour 13 min
Avg pace = 8:15 min/km

9km back
Time =  1 hour 19
Avg pace =  8:57 min/km

Now, at 6:00 pm I still feel terrible; no appetite and legs like I've run a marathon!  Like I said at the start, the only good thing I can see about this run is that it's better to see 18km in my diary than a big fat zero for the day!

4 comments:

  1. Chin up LL, you'll get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes feel like that after 20k with Ruth! But I only nap for 3 hours in the afternoon ;)

    I've heard the sheep are slower in winter when they get their woolly coats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I slept after my long run today too (come to think of it, I nap after pretty much every long run - I'd shatter otherwise :-) ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a rest day tomorrow would be a good plan. Some days are just like that - hope your "get up and go" comes back to you after a good bit of R & R! Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete