Sunday, March 06, 2011

I Nearly Didn't Make It!

Long Run  :  I set the alarm for 7am and said, "I'm not getting up!"  I reset the alarm for 8:00am and said, "I'm not getting up!"  I reset the alarm for 9am and said, "If I don't get up now, I'm going to regret it by tonight!"  I got up!  Cup of tea while changing into running gear and out the door, at the school, ready to start by 9:30am.

  I did the first 6km up and down Radio Road, in and around the school grounds to wake myself up before attacking Old South and Range Road hills for the second Sunday long run.
I was more than a little surprised that I didn't have to walk any of the 4km hill as I did last Sunday. Admittedly, it wasn't what you'd call running but neither was it walking; more like fast crawling!  I wore my fuel belt this week with two flasks of water and could have done with a third one.  Cool though the day was, I still worked up a  thirst.

All was going well, below the program pace, but the course slowed me down, until 'racing' as fast as I could down Old South Road with about 1km to go, I did a 'CJ' on the gravel road!  A really good one too : I fell on my hands, knees, left side of my face, my lip and chin, all of which now have an ugly red graze!  I limped the last 1k back to the school where I washed the bleeding bits and drove home to administer antiseptic and look for sympathy...which I got of course.  I looked like I'd been in brawl!  Mr LL was ready to confine me to the house for at least the next week or two;  not possible I told him; only a few scratches!  Anyhow, I'll just have to apply lots of makeup before leaving the house tomorrow  -  or wear a heavy veil over my face!  - as we're going to Gosford to spend the day with friends.

This is how I landed!


Now to the serious business of the day:

Program said:
22.5km @ 7:30 min/km


I did :
22.5km @ avg. 7:50 min/km  (tough course, falling over & walking back didn't help!)
5km splits = 38:33;  43:06 (up, up and up the hill);  38:34;  37:48 and 2.5k in 17:50
No HR strap;  it's gone back to HTA in Melbourne for replacement ...giving erratic, high numbers for several weeks.

And so I've come to the end of another long run! 

1 comment:

  1. CJ will be impressed when I tell her all about it! I try to fall over on the grass these days - less blood.

    Have a good break at Gosford. My HR monitor is playing up too - a low battery in the strap.

    ReplyDelete