Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Yesterday, Tuesday....

I went across to Chev College track yesterday knowing it was going to be windy, but having no idea of the gales that awaited me!  For the past 24 hours we've been battered by terrifying gales which only worsened as the day wore on; no power all day until 9:30 pm last night. Sirens have been blaring around the area for more than 24 hours now.  I felt quite scared for myself until I thought of the poor buggers working all day and all night in horrendous conditions  -  SES, Fire Brigade, etc  - trying to restore power, remove fallen trees, open roads etc to the entire Southern Highlands.  At least I have a gas stove and was able to heat water and cook a meal at night.  I also had two very large torches that provided sufficient light.  No damage around the house.

Today, Wednesday, a slight improvement but not much and nothing, absolutely nothing would have me out training today!  People have been advised to stay indoors so that's what I'll be doing.  However, since it's a cross training day, I might make the short 5 min drive to Henley Brae and stretch my legs in the warm water later this afternoon.  Now, back to yesterday's Chev track :

Program:  10-20 in warm-up
1km in 6:06,  2km in 12:37, 1km, 1km (400m RI)
10 min cool-down.

I did 2km warm-up + 2 strides...without warming up at all and the gales of wind bringing me to a halt in some sections while in others, sending me flying ahead and/or across the still muddy lane!


1k in 6:31; avg. pace 6:24 m/k
2km in 12:50; avg. pace 6:25 m/k
1km in 6:32; avg. pace 6:22 m/k
1km in 6:21; avg. pace 6:17 m/k


Not even a thought of a cool-down; not needed since I ran this session in 3 layers of clothing, gloves, goggles,  a beanie buff and a hood on my head!

Today, later.......
30 min pool running.

No comments:

Post a Comment