Tuesday, September 06, 2011

On a Whim.....

After a picnic lunch at Lake Alexandra on Saturday, without rhyme or reason and not having run at all in the past two weeks, I decided to make a huge effort and do the Bankstown Half Marathon on Sunday. I think the motivation was to finish my 81st year with a bang!

It was a bang alright and a debacle as well : I walked/jogged the entire distance, nearly died on the hills and finished with a roaring headache in 2:39:40; twenty minutes slower than in Canberra two weeks previously! No other competitors in the W70+ age category so I got away with a medal! I was surprised that there were no other entries from any 70+ year olds....where have they all gone?

21.1 painful kilometres in 2:39:40 to end my 81st year!

5 comments:

  1. O wow you are full of surprises! Well done LL, you ran it so close to the last one too and yes, you earned that medal - what a great way to celebrate becoming 82. YES! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucky Legs
    We have not met, however I read an article in the SMH about 7 years ago just before you were about to tackle the Boston Marathon (I think). That article was on my fridge for 5 years and inspired me to lose 18 kilos and start regular exercise. I am not a runner, but I love to bushwalk and ride my bike and swim in the summer. Your inspiration has caused me to be more energetic and active at 63 than I was at 50.
    I checked your City to Surf times sometimes and only recently found your blog. I suspect I was not the only one to be inspired by that article. I hope you do continue to enjoy competing, but more so, I hope you continue to blog.

    My best wishes to you and also heartfelt thanks.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a lovely comment! Thank you so very much.

    Yes, it was the New York City Marathon, not Boston, and I did run it in 2003 and the experience (not my time!) was the run of my life! I was only a mere 74 years of age at that time!

    You can't imagine what a thrill I got to read that my running inspired you to exercise and lose weight and I'm so pleased you have stayed with it for so many years. You're only 63 now so just think how great you'll feel when you reach your 80's!

    Blogging? I don't know. I haven't much to write about these days; I so miss my husband's company since he died in April this year, that the spark, or will to run, seems to have left me; maybe temporarily; we'll see. I did walk this morning, 6km, a first effort in some weeks but didn't think it worth blogging about!

    Thank you again for taking the time to write so kindly; it has given my lagging spirits a much needed lift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Norma,

    Good to hear you went for a walk the other day.

    Running can wait for when you are ready again.

    I will always have a cheer available for you.

    thomo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks thomo! For now, walking is OK. I sure will need a cheer if and when that day comes around!

    ReplyDelete