Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Tempo Run To Remember!

The Fabulous Five!

Even before I type today's program I just have to say how childishly delighted and surprised at any age level I was, and still am, by the 5km time in this morning's Tempo Run!  Since Fisher's Ghost 5km time of 33:33  in 2011 I have been using that time as the basis for the three workouts of the FIRST Half Marathon program that I've been using for the past three years.  All three workouts are based on one's most recent 5km race time, hence the 33:33 I've been using since that race.  I had run 31:38 in a 5km race in Canberra in 2010.

 However, this morning saw a breakthrough....a small one, but nevertheless....still a breakthrough.

The program went like this  :  2km warm-up
                                                5km @ 7:02m/k (based, in FIRST program, on 33:33)
                                                1 km cool-down

However, what happened for the 5km this morning - and it was hot and I was trying so hard - were these splits:    6:23;   6:27;   6:24;   6:40;   6:28
AHR 81%;  MHR 92%.  Avg. Pace 6:29.

And my time was :   32:28!!!

 

Surprised?  You bet!

5 comments:

  1. And what, pray tell, is the point of delight if it can't be childish? (Breakthroughs are fun, aren't they?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great run LL. Can't wait to see you at the start line in Canberra. You are heading for a fantastic time! Caught up with Bruce tonight at track who said he visited you today just as you were downloading that training run - looking really good for Canberra:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, more than fun really for me, TA & G. Life saving event is more like it...as is your continued encouragement.

    Hope so, strewth, but a finish will do! You also keep me 'keeping on'...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You keep getting better. 32:28 for 5k!

    ReplyDelete