Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Virtual Partner Wins!

.....not just once, but for all three repeats!   Massive defeat for me...all three repeats!

The Program:

10-20 min warm-up
3 x 1600m 
10 min cool-down.

The pace for these repeats was based on my latest 5km time of 31:28.  On the program of paces I chose a 5k time of  31:30.....near enough!  Well......I made a truly miserable debut with the new pace of 6:10 m/k as against 6:36 m/k on the old 5km time of 33:33.  I may have to choose a pace somewhere between the two 5k times.

It turned out - badly - like this :

3 x 1600m.......Avg. Paces..... 1)  6:30m/k;   2)  6:28m/k;   3)  6:34m/k

I ran today's track session on the grass, bare foot, in the soccer field;  a little muddy in parts

 I felt this was a dreadfully and horribly hard session!  It all but killed me!!

The Scene of a Bitter Battle with Virtual Partner!
Total 8km. 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Look again at those times and think about what you want out of a track repeats session. What I want is even pacing on each set, and to be able to hold that pace to the end (and to know that I couldn't possibly hold it for one more).

    Fixed times are immaterial, because they don't take into account issues like the humidity, the heat, or the soft underfoot. All up, those times look pretty good to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear your good advice, TA & Gnome! I know that what I want to get out of a track repeat session is striving to keep the pace set out on the program I use. If I can't do that, I feel the session is a failure....that's just how I am! Too hard on myself and possibly too regulated by the program.

    I take on board your sound advice and thank you so much for your continuing care....Lord only knows I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should mention that the FIRST program of 3 runs - track repeats, tempo run and the long run - prescribes specific pases and distances for each of these sessions, hence the effort I put into achieving each fixed pace for the 3 workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe VP is still being so mean to you!

    I'd be inclined to set a 5k time between those two times. That'd give you some leway for running on the grass, which is slower than the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we both seem to have much the same idea, Ewen, it has to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete