Saturday, May 19, 2012

Long Run.....Workout #3

Next time I run on Range Road I'm changing from Saturday to a Sunday when there's less danger of being killed by cars speeding around the long winding road.  There's not a continuous stream of traffic like on a city road; instead, every five to ten minutes four to five cars, each within inches of the other, fly like cannon balls around the bends, up and down the narrow road, and God help anyone and anything in  their way.  If anything happened to just one of the cars, you don't have to be an expert to know that everyone of them would be wiped out in a second.  I can't understand it at all, especially when we see graphic images of so many horrific accidents on TV every night of the week.  I truly cannot understand it!

What this has to do with my long run on Range Road is pretty obvious.  I have to be ready at any second to jump from the road onto the gravel beside the road.  This is stressful enough but when there's nothing to jump onto other than taking a nose dive into a ditch,  the run very soon becomes a toss up between how quickly can I get out of the way and do I really want to die this way? As soon as I had an opportunity to do so, I turned off Range Road and into Jack Emery Lane, a chance to relax and feel safe for a kilometre or two.

Jack Emery Lane

J.E Lane

Now, that's a real hill! J.E Lane.


I know Sundays used be very quiet and one of the reasons I loved to run there.  Today, I'd planned on 17km run;  however, by the time I returned to where I started at the Highlands School, I was so stressed that I continued on into the silent streets of Renwick for another 2km to give myself time to settle down, relax....and allow the blood pressure to drop!  This is definitely not what running, long or short, should be about.     Now for my long, dangerous run/jump/walk.....

I ran/walked 19km (instead of 17k on my program)
Time 2:29:45....walking lots of the hills today.
Pace?  I didn't even think about it......staying alive was my only concern!
5km splits :  48:32;  41:32;  40::57;  4k 32:28

For the week :  44km

2 comments:

  1. On your previous post.. Ironmines Oval is looking in good nick.

    Yes, take care! We'd hate to see you end up in a ditch underneath a couple of cars! Good for your reactions though - you could take up the 100m hurdles like Rad ;)

    ReplyDelete