Monday, June 11, 2012

After the Fall!

Two days have passed since 'the fall' that left me flat on my face on the dirt and rocks in Diamond Fields Road!  I was having such a pleasant long run; the day was perfect and only 5km to go to finish 16km, when I planted myself face first in the dirt...top lip first actually! To say I was stunned is to underestimate the shock by a long way : I'd gone from vertical to horizontal before I knew it : nose bleeding, lip bleeding, mouthful of dirt and gravel, but luckily no teeth missing or broken.

With tissues held to my face, I had to walk at first and then jog 5km to get back to the car as quickly as possible, drive home and take a look at the damage....and that's the second time lately that I've been looking at a face that I couldn't recognize as my own!  'Planet of the Apes' is a scene of beauty by comparison! It's been a very painful couple of days trying to eat and drink...straws would have been the way to go but I didn't have any. 

Tomorrow, I have a long-standing appointment with my GP...I can't imagine what she'll say when my lip enters the room first with the rest of me following! Argh!  And I'd been trying very hard to lift my feet knowing the surface was so rocky!  Arghhhh!

The Crime Scene!


16km.......in spite of everything!
Time :  2: 13:09
5km splits :   41:07;  39:01;  41:30; ( last 1km walk uphill!)

3 workouts total 36.1km


Before......
....and before!





6 comments:

  1. Take care out there. Lucky the rain softened the landing a bit for you.

    Least you have made the doctor earn his money.

    thomo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your GP has a strong heart ;) Shouldn't laugh as I've been known to chew some dirt from time to time. Maybe some 'high knees' drills are in order... or if you're tired, run on the grass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Face it, Norma (oops, sorry - pun unintended), if any of your doctor's other patients came in after a fall, she'd be checking their hips for fractures and booking them into a rehab hospital. Think of it this way - all the active young things face plant occasionally! (Of course, Ewan doesn't have to worry - his beard would break the fall :) :) ).

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks thomo; and Ewen, I do a few high knees & butt kicks before every run...seems like I need to practise cartwheels as well!

    Bruce,I never thought of it that way, but you're so right! With 83 just around the corner for me, fractures are all the go for most around that age! Says a lot about 'young things' staying strong and fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost did an "LLs" today! Tripped running onto the footbridge and did half a cartwheel! Don't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete