Saturday, July 28, 2012

Poached Egg and Potatoes!

At 7:00 a.m. there was no thought worse than eating potatoes and egg before running!  By 8:00 a.m. I was getting used to the idea and by 8:30 a.m.the deed was done and I was interested to find out if  having breakfast would give me more energy than I usually had, especially during the later stages where I've been struggling lately.  I waited till 10:15 a.m before starting the longest run in my half marathon program.

Program : 24km @ 7:00m/k

I ran from the school, through Renwick and surrounds, for 12km.  Back at the start, I stopped for a drink of water and an energy bar to eat during the next 12km on Diamond Fields Road and back.  I'm a little nervous on this rocky, dirt road since the day I face planted there, taking a mouthful of dirt and biting through my top lip!  It's also very hilly, so the second half was the more difficult of the two.

24km....eeks!

24km in 3:00:23!
5k splits/avg. pace :  37:51 (7:34);  37:05 (7:25);  37:26 (7:29);  37:35 (7:31);  4k in 30:24 (7:35).
Avg. pace 7:31m/k



 So, did the breakfast work?  You bet!  It made a huge difference to my energy levels.  It felt like I was flying on those downhills on D.F Road and I was nowhere near as tired as I was after last Saturday's 16km.  I was tired....3 hours is a long time, for me anyway, but I ran every hill including the last 1km uphill to the finish.  I won't bother eating before the other two short workouts, just the usual cup of coffee but, for the remaining three long runs, a good breakfast is definitely the way to go.  Yo-Ho-Ho!!!

For the week....43km

 

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! You can teach a young dog new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fun comes when you have a race that starts at 7am. I get up at 4am to eat before those, but it does mean an early night the night before. :)

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what really worries me, Bruce! ACTVAC half starts at 8am; can't think about 5am!!

      Thanks for alerting me to the importance of brekkie!

      Delete