Saturday, July 14, 2012

Something Has to Take the Blame.....

........for making a run feel as profoundly awful as did today's 22.5km and I'm putting all that blame, all my fatigue and my close encounter with giving up, on...........The CARBON TAX!

Has to be it!

What else could have moved the decimal point one place further to the right and turned 22.5km into what felt like a 225km ultra run?  It was also irritatingly and unexpectedly windy and I'd like to know why, no matter in which direction one runs, the wind is always a headwind?  I think I can now safely throw into the blame mix, some CLIMATE CHANGE!  How else can one run into a headwind, turn around, run back in the opposite direction, and still be running  into a full force headwind?  Definitely, 'Climate Change' because tailwinds are a thing of the past!

The program was to run 22.5km at 6:53m/k

Instead I ran....

22.54km at avg. pace 7:27m/k in 2:47.48
5km splits......38:45;  36:48;   36:21;  37:03  + 2.54k in 18:50
22.54km of  42.84km week's total.


....and I'd like to know why 500m needed to be added to 22km?  When I finished back at the school where I started, I slumped down onto the grass, stretched out in the sun, no wind, and thought I might spend the rest of the day there, except it was by that time already 1:30 p.m., I hadn't eaten anything all day and darkness would soon be on its way.  That, and the thought of a cuppa, soon had me up on my poor, sore feet doing a bit of stretching - waste of time - I could barely bend over to remove shoes and socks so as to feel the cool grass underneath.

I wonder if the fact that I spent all yesterday dreading, not wanting to do today's long run, had anything to do with it turning out to be just that....a dreadful run?  In any case, it's all too late now to be bothered thinking about, so the winners are....................... THE CARBON TAX  and CLIMATE CHANGE!


3 comments:

  1. Don't worry - Julia will post you a sizeable refund in compensation for that dreadful run (once you lodge your tax forms).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norma,

    I've only just caught up on this post. How on earth can you run 22k on an empty stomach? With all due deference, that's nuts! You can't run with no energy, full stop. Breakfast - God's gift to runners everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, you're right and I'll see that it never happens again....promise!

    ReplyDelete