Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Track at Chev. ~ Workout #1

Getting back to my program is hugely motivating!  I felt like a kid getting a new toy as I drove across to Bowral for the first real running in weeks!  I need a program and a goal and without either one, I'm just no good at all at this running business.....bored to tears walking, not walking, jog/walking etc...does nothing much for me at all, which is why I was all smiles by the time I reached the track at Chevalier College.

2km warm-up


For the warm-up, I ran on the roads through the grounds to avoid the long wet grass.  On the way I came across the very obliging groundsman  from last year.  He was on a huge grass cutter on one of the top ovals facing Moss Vale Road.  We both stopped for a few seconds and, as I was about to continue, he called out, "It's too wet on the track;  nothing worse than wet feet.  I'll come down and mow a section for you."  And he did!  Roared past me on the grass-cutter and, by the time I ran back to the track, he'd cut a strip about 2m wide just inside the oval fence....if that's not a kind and thoughtful thing to do for a person, I don't know what is!  The 'track' measured a distance of 455m, but I had the Garmin set to alert vibration at 400m so no problem with the exact distance....just kept running till I felt the vibration on my wrist.  Changed directions after every two reps.



I had VP set at the correct pace but didn't dare look at him till after I stopped! I ran what I felt was my best for my first day back.  However, I only did half the number of repeats from the program because I felt the remaining ones would just go from bad to worse.  I could feel myself slowing down in the sixth repeat.  As it was, I did well, I think, for six of the twelve and thought it better to quit whilst ahead and feel good rather than grind out the full program and go home disappointed in myself.

Program : F.I.R.S.T. Half Marathon, Week 18.

10-20 min warm-up
12x400m in 2:21 (5.52m/k)
90 sec RI
10 min cool-down.

400m of 455m!




2km warm-up
4 drills with strides between
2:23 (75/85%);   2:22 (73/86%);   2:27 (77/87%);   2:23 (77/88%);   2:20 (77/895);  2:24 (77/88%). 
Timed 90 sec RI between
1km cool-down + stretches. 

........drove home, no niggles, feeling quite chuffed with my effort!

For today....5.4km 

















2 comments:

  1. Wow! So jealous. Your own personal groundsman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're faster than me at the moment LL. That was a good session. So good to know you're running again:)

    ReplyDelete