Saturday, March 16, 2013

Park Run ~ Lake Ginninderra, Canberra.

I wish I could say I ran well, but I didn't!  Same problem that's been bothering me for weeks now...I can't breathe properly.  It's ridiculous that I'm still puffing and out of breath when I run.  I'm seeing my GP this week and I'll see if she can sort it out and do something about it.

I was up at 4:00am, left at 5:00am, in Canberra at 7:00am after driving in complete darkness all the way.  I did not enjoy that one little bit; no traffic at that early hour, but worrying about wildlife crossing the freeway had me on edge the whole time.  "Tom Tom" was invaluable and I'm sure I'd never have found the place without him.  So relieved when I heard him say, "You have reached your destination!"

Park Run Lake Ginninderra
No one there when I arrived, so I set off on a 1km warm-up and by the time that was done, the car park was filling up.  I met up with Ewen before the start and he very gallantly ran just ahead of me so that I always knew I was on the right course which I was surprised to find more difficult than expected.  I walked several times because I was puffing so badly and also on a couple of short steep hills, where others also walked!

The details  :

5km in 36:15 (very disappointing!)
7:00;  6:47;  7:02;  8:06;  7:08 (that tells the true story!)
Avg Pace 7:16
AHR 82%;  MHR 87% 
In spite of those bad numbers, I got the second highest age % of 79.53!

Coffee at a nearby cafe with Ewen, Ruth, CJ and Margaret was the most enjoyable part of the day for me!  Must say though, I will go back for another park run, not just to improve my time, though that is essential, but because these runs are so non-fussed and extremely well organized : just turn up, short briefing, run, present bar code at finish...and that's it.  Except for coffee with friends at the end! 
With Friends...after the run..CJ, Ruth, Ewen, LL, Margaret.




3 comments:

  1. Great to see you. I bet the rest of the field wished they could run 79% on half a lung. After your doc sorts that and a month of training you'll run a huge "New PB!"

    That Google map must be a few years old - bare earth where we had coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often wondered the same thing about Google maps!

    New PB coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic to catch up LL. Do hope the GP sorts out the breathing problem but 79% is still an amazing result. Well done!

    ReplyDelete