Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tempo Run ~~~

Last night I made the decision to do today's training on the grass at Chev track and I did, little knowing that the morning was to be a foggy and wet one.  No rain while I was at Chev but the fog had all but wiped out seeing anything further away than a few hundred metres.  "My" 200m lane had been cut close so it seemed the best and driest place to run....but for me 5km on an approx. 200m lane was going to be both a physical and mental strain!  For this reason I did the 3.5km warm-up and 1.5 cool down just inside the boundary fence.  After one lap in the warm-up, my runners were clogged with newly cut grass and soaked with water which was reason enough to do the session in bare feet.

Program  :
3.5km easy
5km @ ST pace (for me 6:26m/k)
1.5km easy.

5km tempo run


I set off in fine form for the 5km with VP set at 6:26 m/km.  I was ahead of him anything from 5m to 30 m, lap after lap after lap....Until the last 1km when I fell hopelessly and horribly apart.  Gasping, even grunting, stopping, walking and legs buckling beneath me.   Couldn't keep running for the life of me!  Of course, that's exactly what VP had been waiting for, and so he surged ahead laughing at my agonized facial expressions and, the final insult, finishing 100m in front!

No excuses  :  I know not to start too fast and make fading/collapsing the inevitable finish.  I will remember this at the Lake Ginninderra Park Run on Saturday.

Now the Results for 5km :

Time  : 32:56
1k splits  : 6:30;  6:18;  6:22;  6:34 and 7:10
Avg. Pace 6:36m/k
AHR 82%;   MHR 91%

Using the 200m lane wasn't too bad after all....unless I can blame it -- which I can't  -  for the disaster that befell me there in the 5th km!

For Today    10km

 A Foggy Day in Bowral Town!


 


 

 
   

2 comments:

  1. If that happens again I'll get my spies to trip the evil VP at the 4th k. But it won't happen because you'll be fitter and your pacing will be better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you're right! VP is running on Saturday, so be quick to trip him up!

      Delete