Sunday, June 30, 2013

Little Lamb ~~~ Little Lamb.

When I took Amy and Oscar for their walk yesterday, I had no idea of how it was to unfold.  There was a fine break around 3:00 pm and I drove to the school to have shelter if it rained and also to give the three cows some bread.  That done, I went into the sheep paddock to see how the new lambs were doing.  To my horror, one of the pregnant ewes was down almost on her back in slippery mud and afterbirth, frantically struggling to get to her feet.  There was no sign of a lamb.

I immediately phoned the Principal (I have been given his mobile number to use when I find something  wrong after hours at the school...eg. a break-in, doors left unlocked, windows left open, cows, sheep and goats that have broken out of their paddocks....because the Principal lives in Sydney, he then phones a teacher living locally to come fix whatever the problem happens to be.)  On this occasion the teacher from Berrima who is in charge of the farm animals was called in.

In the meantime, I managed to push and pull the poor distressed mum over onto her belly, but she was so heavy I couldn't get her up.  To stop her struggling, I propped her against my legs (sore knee today!) and spent the next thirty minutes talking softly to her, stroking her face and head to keep her calm and to comfort her.  Poor thing was all but worn out; no idea how long she'd been lying in the mud and rain but probably hours, if not all day trying to give birth.

It was getting dark and rain had started by the time Steve arrived . He could see that the lamb was still inside its mother and had to be got out if either were to survive.  I held the mother's body while Steve gently pulled the lamb out.  It was dead and I cried for the loss of such a beautiful little creature. I felt its tiny, warm, wet body, perfect white body; long, brown legs and brand new little hooves that would never feel the grass beneath them....and I cried some more.

The poor mother had had enough by this time, her struggle had worn her out and even though I held onto her head I could see from her eyes she had no more strength left.  Steve told me to go home then but he would stay for another hour to see if the mother might come good.  I phoned him a couple of hours later only to hear that he had to put her down. All those months growing a new life and now both of them gone. 

I can't describe how sad I was all night - still am!  Over the years I've sort of been "adopted" by the teachers and students of this school!  I can walk in any time of the day and be greeted by all of them.  The school has only about thirty high school pupils, both sexes, who haven't been able to fit into the mainstream system for all different reasons : terrible home life, drugs, in trouble with the police and many other sad situations, but I get on with them, have always received respect from them; they know I love the animals.....and they're always interested in my running capers!

Heavens above!  I didn't think this would take so long to tell, but I'm glad I've written it all down if for no other reason than that it helps me to let go of the heart-breaking scene that has occupied my thoughts since yesterday. I didn't go near the paddock today and took Amy and Oscar for a long walk in another direction  They were  both such good little things yesterday, waiting  by the car for me to return.

Oh yes, the rain has finally stopped and the sun is out today!







4 comments:

  1. What a terribly sad story. I'm glad the mum had you there. At least she didn't depart to the grassy paddock in the sky alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ewen, a profoundly moving experience and one I'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Good Samaritan, you've earned huge Brownie points.

    We lived in a country town in Victoria and at one stage had a lamb in our family yard when we were children. It was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friar, how lovely to hear that you had a lamb in your yard! I wish I could have been of more help in the situation I came across.

    ReplyDelete